With all of the horrible things going on in Boston right now (Illinois and Texas, I’m thinking of you too), I thought I would share some of the wonderful things about the city. I love Shakespeare on the Common, the Red Sox, Swan Boats, the Freedom Trail, and the pizza – it’s better than New York. I love that you can’t find a straight road anywhere and the way the city looks in October. I love that if you wait long enough, the Red Sox will win the World Series again. And again after that. I love that it’s cold in the winter and hot in the summer and that you can always find good ice cream.
And I love to see Boston represented in films, books, and music – and that’s what you’re getting today.
Favorite films set in Boston:
Favorite novels set in Boston:
10. Cell by Stephen King (okay, it’s not great, but the part set in Boston is good)
9. Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (this one is more of a love-hate thing)
8. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (read solely because it’s ‘important’)
7. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
6. On Beauty by Zadie Smith
5. Mystic River by Dennis Lehane (and Shutter Island and Gone, Baby, Gone…)
4. The Bostonians by Henry James
3. The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
2. It Happened in Boston? by Russell H. Greenan (while you’re at it, read The Secret Life of Algernon Pendleton)
1. Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving
Bands/Musicians from the Boston area (not all currently active, in no particular order, and being on the list is not necessarily a guarantee of love (i.e. Pixies)):
10. Caleb Groh
9. The Cars
7. Letters to Cleo (loved them when I was in middle school)
6. The Dresden Dolls
4. Joan Baez
2. Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers
1. Dropkick Murphys
Do you have a favorite film/book/band based in Boston? Did I omit anything that absolutely must be included?
Image: Wicked Preppy