Mixtape: A homemade music compilation that contains all of your favourite tracks. Often you give such a compilation to the guy or gal of your fancy in hopes that it will help you win their heart. (Urban Dictionary).
Or it could simply be the generic name given to any compilation of songs recorded onto any audio format. (Wikipedia)
I have a love/hate relationship with summer (though I mentioned my love for a good summer romance here). On one hand, it doesn’t snow, for which I am eternally grateful. On the other, Colorado summers are incredibly long, hot, and dry. However, there is perhaps nothing more magical than a July Saturday night – hot night, cold drink, starry sky, sandy beach. Thinking about summer always makes me wistful. And wish I wasn’t landlocked.
So with that in mind, here is my summer mixtape. Did you know that the mixtape has been called the most widely practiced American art form? Like spring, I am posting summer’s early because (in the US) Memorial Day is the unofficial start to the season – weather is hot, school is out, and BBQ season is well under way.
Happy listening. Happy summer.
1. The Mynabirds – We Made a Mountain
2. Peter Sarstedt – Where Do You Go To (My Lovely)
3. Calexico – Cruel
4. Lincoln Durham – Clementine
5. Emiliana Torrini – Unemployed in Summertime
6. Laura Marling – Ghosts
7. Wild Belle – It’s Too Late
8. Treat Her Right – Everglades
9. Slim Harpo – Strange Love
10. Calexico – Dead Moon
11. Morphine – I Had My Chance (admittedly stolen straight from the Wild Things soundtrack, a summer movie if there ever was one)
12. alt-J – Fitzpleasure (my sole attempt to make this literary, the song was inspired by Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby Jr.)
13. Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes – Home (has the best line about summer*)
14. Rusty Truck – Cold Ground
15. Muddy Waters – Sittin’ Here Drinkin’
Quite a few of these songs have lovely lyrics. Obviously I’m not referring to #16, that one’s practical, not pretty. As always, I want to know which songs you listen to in the summer. Someone will share, right?
* Laugh until we think we’ll die / Barefoot on a summer night / Never could be sweeter than with you