In all honestly, I had no intention of writing a list this week, as the topic is top ten favorite things other than books. And books are my thing. But yesterday…was not a good day. It was an exasperating, stress inducing, tear-filled kind of day. This resulted in eating pizza, ice cream, and watching a favorite movie. Because sometimes certain movies just make you feel better. The following are some blend of romantic-comedy-drama-whatever that have little in common except they please me and make me happy. Very technical, I know.
So wallow, have a good cry, and watch Molly Ringwald choose the wrong guy. Team Duckie for life.
10. Pretty in Pink. “A poor girl must choose between the affections of her doting childhood sweetheart and a rich but sensitive playboy.”
09. Strictly Ballroom. “A maverick dancer risks his career by performing an unusual routine and sets out to succeed with a new partner.”
08. Muriel’s Wedding. “Muriel finds life in Porpoise Spit, Australia dull and spends her days alone in her room listening to Abba music and dreaming of her wedding day. Slight problem, Muriel has never had a date. Then she steals some money to go on a tropical vacation, meets a wacky friend, changes her name to Mariel, and turns her world upside down.”
07. In Bruges. “Guilt-stricken after a job gone wrong, hitman Ray and his partner await orders from their ruthless boss in Bruges, Belgium, the last place in the world Ray wants to be.”
06. While You Were Sleeping. “Ticket collecting romantic pretends to be engaged to an unconscious man but can’t fool his brother.”
05. Benny and Joon. “A mentally ill young woman finds her love in an eccentric man who models himself after Buster Keaton.”
04. Lars and the Real Girl. “A delusional young guy strikes up an unconventional relationship with a doll he finds on the Internet.”
03. Your Sister’s Sister. “Iris invites her friend Jack to stay at her family’s island getaway after the death of his brother. At their remote cabin, Jack’s drunken encounter with Hannah, Iris’ sister, kicks off a revealing stretch of days.”
02. Much Ado About Nothing. “A modern retelling of Shakespeare’s classic comedy about two pairs of lovers with different takes on romance and a way with words.”
01. Waitress. “Jenna is a pregnant, unhappily married waitress in the deep south. She meets a newcomer to her town and falls into an unlikely relationship as a last attempt at happiness.”
What do you enjoying watching (when you’re not reading)?
(Image found here)