A few weeks ago I did a list on cars + books. It was easy (and I’m all about easy, I’d try to tell you otherwise, but in the interest of keeping it real…). So, thinking along those same lines, I decided to do road trips. Who doesn’t love a good road trip?! I actually went on a few this summer. I visited Colorado (home state), Utah, Nevada, California, Wyoming, South Dakota, and New Mexico. The summer contained one car accident, zero traffic citations, and nearly 50 million dead bugs. Success, of a sort.
So I sat down to write this list – truly planning on whipping it out in 30 minutes or less – and nothing. I mean, honestly, there is On the Road, Fear and Loathing, and… That was it. That was all I could come up with. I wracked my brain a little more and managed to get The Road to fit my needs, and then The Stand, but even that felt like cheating.
Naturally, I fretted, worried, and otherwise over-thought this list until I took the fun out of it. We all have talents, and that is mine.
Today’s lesson: Good intentions pave the way to road trip hell.
There’s a reason every single road trip list features On the Road and Fear and Loathing and John Green. Either lesson is yours to learn, both are true.
In no particular order:
10. On the Road // Jack Kerouac. Classic. And all of that disillusionment.
09. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas // Hunter S. Thompson. Nothing will top it. Ever.
08. The Road // Cormac McCarthy. So…it’s not quite the trip on a road I’d want to take.
07. The Stand // Stephen King. Stay out of the tunnels, man.
06. Paper Towns // John Green. It’s just very…John Green. Still good.
05. Mosquitoland // David Arnold. Rounding out my YA selections…
04. Where the Heart Is // Billie Letts. There may be nothing worse that road tripping out to California and being abandoned at a Wal-Mart in Oklahoma. While pregnant.
03. The Grapes of Wrath // John Steinbeck. Never mind, this is the worst road trip ever.
02. In the Tall Grass // Stephen King and Joe Hill. Enjoy the last sip of your margarita.
01. Setting Free the Bears // John Irving. Get on the road and see where it takes you (it’s Vienna, always Vienna).
What list did you come up with this week? Find others here.
Photo found here.